Regular readers of Simply Crochet will be familiar with the name Hannah Cross – one of our superstar designers that has created many of our most popular designs! Hannah wanted to help us out with supporting the charity Bliss for this years World Craft Week, so she’s designed a new baby beanie pattern exclusively for us! This pattern has been specifically designed for premature babies, but you can also find the pattern in a size that will fit toddlers and children here.
If you would like to crochet one of these hats for a premature baby but don’t know where to send it, there is some good information and specialist patterns from Bliss here, most local NICU’s will take donations (although be sure to check as some have to be particular about types of fibres used), or you can get in touch with Mylo and Friends who are always happy to receive your knitted/crocheted items. Hannah also has some excellent pattern free patterns here including some fabulous blankets which would be great for babies.
The pattern is free and can be found below, but before you get straight into it, if you would like to help out and donate to Bliss, we’ve got 5 easy ways that you can help this worthy charity!
1. Craft4Bliss – take part using the sponsor form on the back page of the digi mag and make a donation or host an event and ask family and friends to support you.
2. Buy a Craft Download for £3 – visit www.buysubscriptions.com/Craft4Bliss and choose one of our four craft downloads or you could buy the lot!
3. By Text – you can text your donation by sending MAKE14 followed by the amount (MAKE14£10) to 70070
4. By Justgiving – create your own fundraiser page or simply donate what you can to support Craft4Bliss. Visit www.bliss.org.uk/craft4bliss
5. Send a cheque – you can send a cheque made payable to Bliss to, CRAFT4BLISS, Bliss, 2nd Floor Chapter House, 18-20 Crucifix Lane, London SE1 3JW. Please write CRAFT4BLISS on the back of your cheque
Teeny Weeny Baby Beanie
YOU WILL NEED
Drops – Merino Extra Fine Wool/any DK yarn of your choice 50g/105m, 100% wool superwash. 1 ball in colour of your choice
Prem baby (11cm by 15cm)
14st and 5 rounds = 10cm by 10cm
The ch1 at the beginning of a round does not count as a stitch.
Foundation chain: ch2
Round 1 10htr in 2nd ch from hook, ss in 1st to join 
Round 2 Ch1, 2htr, *2htr in BL of next, rep from * around ss in 1st to join 
Round 3 Ch1, *2htr, htr in BL of next, rep from * around, ss in 1st to join 
Round 4 Ch1, *2htr, htr in BL of next 2, rep from * around, ss in 1st to join 
Round 5 Ch1, *2htr, htr in BL of next 3, rep from * around, ss in 1st to join 
Round 1 Ch1, *htr, htr in BL, rep from *around, ss in 1st to join
Rounds 2-9: Rep Round 1 eight more times
Round 1 Ch1, *dc, dc in BL rep from * around, ss in 1st to join
Round 2 Ch1, dc in each around, ss in 1st to join