UK and US crochet conversion chart


For those of you who  prefer working with charts, here’s a basic key in both UK and US terms:


We post a lot of free patterns on the Simply Crochet blog, most use UK terms but some use US terms too. This simple chart can help you translate our patterns and others on the web so they speak your language.

  • this is lemonade

    Excellent! Such a simple and yet VERY practical idea. Nicely done thank you! :)

  • Anita

    It really is a shame there has to be a conversion chart…it kind of makes my head hurt. Months ago I went to a lot of trouble to track down your fabulous magazine only to find I got so confused with a pattern I gave up. I hope to give it another try soon as your items are so cute!

  • Nancy, Lugdon

    I just recently got back into crocheting , and purchased your magazine in our local JoAnns store here in Alaska. You have the best magazine packed full of wonderful crocheted goodies. I’m looking forwarding to the Dec issue. I’ll be running out tomorrow to purchase it. Great job and keep up the great job.
    Nancy L

  • Renée

    I have a question about converting a pattern from UK to US. Do you just convert the stitch itself or other things in the pattern as well? I know you convert a DC to SC and a TR to DC. For example:

    Row 1 ::
    work 1dc in 2nd chain from hook. Continue working dc’s into each chain till the end. You should have worked 19 stitches in total. Turn the work.
    Row 2 ::
    Chain 3, then work 1tr into first stitch. *Skip 2 stitches, then work 3tr’s (I call this a “tr cluster”) into next stitch*. Repeat between ** 4 more times, skip 2 stitches, then work 2tr’s into last stitch on row.

    In Row 1, would I still start off in the 2nd chain? And in Row 2, would I still chain 3? I’m not sure if I should be just changing the type of stitch itself or the other things in the rows as well. Thank you for any help!

  • lauraimurray

    fabulous charts! I’ll be sharing these with my students :)

  • mary lester

    I have a pattern that says dtc I’m confused can anyone help

  • Ruth Andrews

    Could that be “Double Treble Crochet” which is the UK equivalent of Treble Crochet US ? (I’m from England and found out the hard way too when I attempted to crochet some little baby baseball boots !) There’s a graph on this site above with keys to UK and US terminology ;0) Ruth